Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Vitamins which can possible help combat Alzheimer's 7/22/2007

I have felt quite well this last week, almost like the old ME. Its been a great reprieve and I am truly thankful for feeling better at this time. I am currently taking all the vitamins listed below, plus Namenda, and Prozac. My mood swings are gone at present and my memory has improved some. I am starting on Exelon and hope I can tolerate it.

Researchers are not sure if there is a genetic link in families with Alzheimers.Studies are still being conducted. I personally believe there is, as my grandfather, uncle, and uncles son had it, and now I do.

They say FOLATE can reduce the risk of Alzheimers by 55% .
Vitamins B6 and B12 also help to reduce the amino acid homocysteine in the brain.( High levels of homoseteine nearly double the risk of Alzh.)

VITAMINS E and C are two antioxidents
that may help protect brain cells from damage.

OMEGA 3 is thought to reduce the risk of Alzh, but pregnant women and children should be careful of it.
Salmon are a good source of Omega 3 and eating Salmon once a week can lower the risk of the disease, plus eating lots of fresh fruits and vegtables.

HUPERZINE A is a plant derived supplement that is used in traditional Chinese medicine for fever and other
conditions. It might help to reduce inflamation in the brain.

There is also some speculation Asprin might help to reduce inflamation. (Not A Vitamin as u well know)

There are many websites that offer a lot of info about Alzh and many other diseases. My Doctor had told me to take all the Vitamins listed above except Huperzine A. I found out about it on the internet and have been taking it plus Asprin.

If anyone is interested I will
give them the names of web sites or they can check them out themselves.

Thankyou for your continued support and prayers. God bless...MaryGrace

No comments: