Monday, February 25, 2008

The Signs and Symptoms of Sleep Apnea/Alzheimer's Part One 6/8/2007

These are some of the symptoms I have expierenced in the past few years.

About two years ago, I began having problems with my memory. I'd misplace my pocket book, keyes,important papers, forget names. I felt tired and listless after a long nights sleep. I took frequent naps during the day, and still felt tired.

Dr Olsen suggested I might have Sleep
Apnea. An appointment was made to spend the night at a sleep study lab.
After a careful review of the study, it was determined I had sleep apnea. A Pulmonary Function Test, Chest xray, and Echo Cardiogram were done.
The tests revealed my lungs were scared and not able to expand as they should, the right side of my heart had enlarged, the mitral and aortic valves were leaking. They felt the loss of memory was due to insufficent oxygen going to the brain. I'm sure other parts of my body were affected too.

A "Z PACK MACHINE" was ordered. Each night I strap a plastic mask over my nose. The machine chamber is partially filled with water to help humidify the air being forced into my body.
Each week I clean the mask, long plastic tubing hose and chamber with hot water and dilutted vinegar. The sales represenative doesn't always specify the importance of this procedure, but it should be done weeky to help maintain a clean safe airway to the lungs and body.

The Z Pack machine , has been a great help and I awake feeling fresh, ready to face each new day.

My memory problems have persisted and become worse as time has progressed.... More to follow........


No comments: