Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Learning to Live With Alzheimers Disease , 2008 1/26/2008

An up date about the illness I am facing and living with.

In May 2007, I was diagnoised with Alzheimers. The devastating news drastically changed my life forever.

Trying to take medications to help slow the disease was a challange as I could not tolerate some of the well known drugs. Stopping my mood swings, memory lapses, and coming to terms with facing the disease and its affects was another problem to cope with. I lost interest in writing, hobbies and life in general. Getting through each day was great task!

Luckily I was able to take Namenda and Exelon. They have slowed the disease down and restored much of my memory. This has been a great repreive and I am thankful for it.
Prozac stopped my mood swings and depression. All these medications are not a permanent fix ,as there is no cure for this disease at the present time.

I have tried to face this disease head on and it has not been easy. We all know we're going to die eventually. When I was confronted with the diagnosis I had to accept reality, knowing full well what the eventual out come will be, if no cure is found.

Facing death is extremely hard ! I don't think one knows what its like until they have done it. Knowing my brain is slowly changing is hard to endure. Knowing nothing that can be done to stop the onslought of this disease is overpowering!

I was lucky to find out early so I could take medications and vitamins to slow its progess . I have been given a second chance for now, and I am making the most of the precious time God has given me.

Tests, advances in medicine , studies and research are being done.
This disease is out of the closet as millions are confronted with it. Attention is finally being paid to it! Hope remains eternal as long as the mind remains healthy and intact. WE ALL PRAY FOR A MIRACLE.

No comments: