Sunday, May 25, 2008

Thoughts and feelings

I know from personal expierence , that if I can remain calm , and keep my mind busy with Good interesting things , I do better. Once in a while my thoughts get a little scattered, especially if I am under a lot of pressure. The medication definately helps and IS needed to delay the onslought of this disease. I am in a very good place , compared to last year...Last May I had just found out I had this . I was scared , angry , confused and trying to cope . The worst was not being able to control my thoughts. I think it was a combination of the shock of finding out I had this, trying to control my thinking , and the feelings of being inadaquate and out of control. I had bad mood swings. One minute I 'd be ok , then in a flash , I'd be lashing out at some one . I realize now , it was all a part of this. I couldn't adjust , remember. I couldn't stop blank spaces from coming into my brain when I was trying to talk . I was afraid to go places alone , as sometimes I got lost and didn't know which way to go. It was overpowering, shattering to my life . It affected me and those I loved , as they bore the brunt of my wrath at times. I knew I was having these mood swings and told my Doctor. She put me on Prozac 10 mg. daily. It helped to stabliize me . Namenda and Exelon , helped me to return to a fairly normal existance. I looked up information on the internet about vitamins , supplements and and learned more about the disease. I talked with my doctor and began taking vitamins. It was good as I felt I was helping my self and had some input to decisions .

I wanted to turn things around and try to help others , so I began to write about Alzheimers. I have written articles about the disease, poems about my feelings am in a chat group. Now I have blog Provided by my friend, Hank. It has been a rewarding experence . I am a retired nurse . Caring for others has been a life long labor of love.. "Give and ye shall receive". That is what has happened to me. I gave and I have been blessed with the ability to write and share my expierences with others . Perhaps I will help give a better understanding by writing and sharing. I sure hope so!

If you know some one who has this , try to help them by making sure they are on Namenda plus one other drugs ,such as Arceipt , or Exelon., Reminyl. Make sure they are taking vitamins.such as B12 , Folate.. Omega 3..Read to them , provide music, walk, play cards try to be understanding , have patience, and don't argue . STIMULATE THEIR MINDS. You will never what its like to have this, until you are there facing it your self.( I pray that doesn't happen) Find compassion and gain insght about the disease by reading and talking about it with others .. Always remember to try to maintain a good happy world for your loved one who has it. They are the ones who are lost and trying to cope the best they can. They are trying desperately to maintain some sense of control and order in their mind. They are slowly ,silently being robbed of the power to do so. They are dying a little each day.

PLEASE REACH OUT.. Encourage your Doctors to LEARN more about this ,, TALK wth others who have a similar problem and let your loved one know you are there for them...God Bless....MaryGrace

No comments: