Thursday, May 1, 2008

MaryGrace writes on medications

I have not written about medications given for Alzheimers since last year. Perhaps you might know someone you can share this information with.

Medications called cholinesterase
inhibitors are prescribed for mild to moderate Alzh.They help to delay symptoms from becoming worse for a period of time.

Research shows they help prevent the breakdown of Acetylcholine, which is a chemical in the brain thought to be important in memory and thinking. As the disease progersses , the brain produces less and less acetylcholine.
Eventually the medications loose their affect.

The medicatons, Arceipt, Exelon pill or patch and Reminyl all work in a similar way. They feel Switching from one of these drugs to another , will not produce different results, but the patient might tolerate one better than another.

Exelon dosage starts at 1.5mg twice a day, then in wks, 3mg twice a day, then in 4 to 6 weeks, 4.5mg twice a day,eventually 6mg twice a day.
I am not sure about the dosage of the new Exelon Patch.

Arceipt starts at 5mg daily ,then in wks increases to 5 mg twice daily. In 4 weeks increases to 10 mg Bid.

Reminyl starts at 4mg Bid (twice daily), in 4wks to 8 mg Bid , eventually 12mg Bid.

I could not take Arceipt . It made me very nausiated. I take Exelon 4.5mg Bid. I can't take 6 mg bid , as it makes me sick and feel odd.

Namenda is given for moderate to severe Alzh. It slows the progression of the disease so people can maintain daily functions longer.

Namenda regulates glutamate in the brain so excessive amounts are not released . The death of brain cells results when that happens.

Namenda can be given with cholinesterase inhibitors as they work differently.

Namenda doseage starts at 5 mg daily , gradually increases to 10mg Bid

I take Namenda 10 mg Bid and Exelon 4.5mg Bid, plus a lot of vitamins and prozac to help with depression and mood swings.

I will write about Vitamins and some antidepressant later on.

Mentally I am in a much better place than I was last year. My memory is good and I can take my medications without prompting. I CAN FIND MY CAR KEYS,(yeah) and I don't get lost when I'm driving.

We are all forgetful at times, thats part of being human. This disease robs a person of being able to control their thoughts, memories and completing daily activities. It takes a part of our life away, leaving us with feelings of frustration, fear,loss, hoplessness.

I dread what is ahead of me . I don't want to go through what I did last spring, summer and fall. I know its going to eventually happen again, and I can't stop it , nor can the millions of others who have it.

Medical advances, tests
and research are on going. More awareness of the disease is increasing,but the stigma still remains. MORE NEEDS TO BE DONE! I pray a cure will be found soon for all who have this. God Bless ,, MaryGrace

No comments: