Sunday, July 6, 2008

July 5,2008 Update. Good news

A personal sharing of what I have been through this last year. Some of you Know I have Alzheimers ,as you have read my writings on the den .

Over a year ago, I was diagnoised with Alzheimers. I had been having memory lapses, fragmented thoughts, misplacing things. I'd forget words in the middle of a sentence. It was hard to seperate things in my mind. Someone had to be in the car when I drove, so I wouldn't get lost. It was a time of turmoil, hoplessness and frustration, as I tried to come to terms with the diagnosis and facing the eventuality of my death in a most unpleasent way.

I had seen my grandpa and uncle die from it. I had cared for people with it and watched as they were slowly robbed of their mind and ability to function. I saw familes torn apart, as their loved ones stared unknowingly at them, succumbing in increments to the fatal disease.

This is my fate, reality!! I had to face it. I couldn't run away from what was happening to me.

With the help of Exelon and Namenda, folate and hurpazine, plus many vitamins, the disease has been slowed down.
They have not found a cure yet. Studies are being conducted world wide. Some break throughs have been made, but much more needs to be done to stop this devasting illness.

Alzheimers is now the sixth leading cause of death and the numbers are increasing at an alarming rate. Over five and a half million people have it, and its attacking people in their thirties, forties, ect. Its no longer a disease of the elderly.

Each day I live has become more precious! I value life more and look at things differently than I used to.
I marvel at the ability to remember , to be able to talk normally, share my writings and feeling with others.

My Lord has been gracious in the extra time and gifts he has given me. I am true ly grateful!

2 comments:

Lynn@InOverHerHead.blogspot.com said...

Hello Mary Grace,

Thank you for being so open and willing to share your thoughts, feelings and most of all your pain in dealing with Alzheimer's. I did not see your age listed but in your picture you appear to be young to have this disease. I am 57 years young and also am not the normal "face of alzheimer's". I think that is one of the problems we face in our daily living with the disease. Kind of like the diabetic in a diabetic ketoacidosis crisis. Many times onlookers think they are drunk when they are really in severe medical crisis. We face a similar situation when we lose our train of thought in mid sentence, can't remember our bosses name, turn off the stove, or how to get home from the mall. I always feel my lowest at those times. Defective and yes, dumb. I know, I know, it is not my fault it is the disease. But they don't know it. Alzheimer's hurts in so very many different ways.

I enjoyed your posts on you blog and am looking a starting my own blog. I have been looking for 4 months for a community to belong to so I think I may need to make my own. I also want to help others, simple because I have struggled to find help. I finally have gone to the caregivers blogs and message boards to learn about my disease. That of course is where you found me and encouraged me to check out your blog. So with that ...... Thanks for the incentive. I will follow your progress and let you know when I have something started up to share with you.

God's Blessings to You and Your Husband. I hope he is doing better.

Lynn

HAPPY IN NEVADA said...

My aunt lived years in a nursing home with this disease; it runs in our family, and I'll certainly share this blog with my family members who will appreciate your efforts.

Take care - my best. Fondly, Diane